❤️

Please follow using the follow button!!

Tuesday, June 29, 2021

If it’s a competition, then who wins?

There are a lot of disabilities out there. 

Neurological and biological. 

Some from birth, some over the course of a lifetime.

Some have one, some have none, some have multiple.

As a teacher, I learn about disabilities every day. Everyone’s different and even though symptoms can be the same, it can have different effects on people. 

Once you’ve met one disabled person, you’ve met one disabled person… the clue is in the word “person”.

I have come across people, and I’m sure you have too, that fight for the title of “hardest life” or “I’m more disabled than you”. I’m sure there are a million reasons why people feel this way and some are probably because of how they have been treated. I know of a few people who have been asked to constantly prove their disabilities over the span of several years to various authorities, so I’m sure when a new kid comes along and they’re very free with talking about their neurological condition, it must be very jarring. 

I know of quite a few autistic people who have had someone tell them that either “Autism isn’t really a disability” or “Try being deaf! Then you’ll know what disability means!” And I understand where the anger is coming from. They have had to fight for so long to be barely noticed and catered for. The first three modules of my SEND diploma have shown me how people with varying disabilities have been categorised, poked, prodded, shipped off to boarding schools, made into tradespeople, but never recognised as anywhere near equal until the past 20 years. I can only imagine how hard they have fought to be recognised as people. 

But the rights they have accrued won’t be taken away because of a new club member. Autism spectrum diagnosis is still in its infancy compared to other physical and mental disabilities and is still growing which I think is why it is talked about so much. 

I once heard someone say that rights are not cake. Just because you give someone rights, doesn’t mean you take away from your own, unlike sharing food portions. 

I find it very hard to understand why people who have fought their whole lives, for themselves and others too, turn their noses up at someone just because they're not in the same category. 

If you can fight for you, why can’t I fight for me? 





No comments:

Post a Comment