❤️

Please follow using the follow button!!

Saturday, July 9, 2022

Times are changin’….

I’m pretty sure most of you will be aware of the UK’s current political state. 

BoJo is leaving. 

With this being an autism blog (and me not being a political boffin) I don’t want to go into the ins and outs. However, this did prompt me to write a blog on political views. Not MY political views, heavens no! Don’t be silly! I’m smart enough to know that, when it comes to politics, living out loud is a dangerous game. 

But that leads me onto my point. 

Firstly, knowing who or when to share your political opinion is difficult. I find that when the country is in political flux, it can be one of my most mask heavy periods. 

I do wonder whether this is something Neurotypicals and Neurodivergents can agree on.

When you’re with a group of shouting Tories, do you wave a blue flag? What about red for labour? Do you speak up against certain policies or parties or just wait until the conversation changes? Are you a Devil’s advocate and go against the grain just to see sparks fly? Are you worried about saying the wrong thing in the wrong company and being launched into outer space for it? Or being asked to justify what you think and how you feel 200 times before being allowed to leave the dinner table? 

If you do, welcome to the club. This is how conversations are for me no matter what the subject is so, I’m already there. Masking is (for me anyway) sussing out the conversation and how everyone in the group leans, then chiming in (mostly unsuccessfully) with subject matter that I think fits. This usually goes wrong and ends up with me being found out. Politics is a favourite of mine because the rules are actually in law. (Yay! No need for interpretation!) I don’t have to share, and I can share what I want, with whom ever I choose. Obviously I choose not to share, as I’m old enough to realise you will never be right in this field. I have a few people I can discuss politics with, just as a I have a small music based discussion bubble. Every other situation I just nod and smile. Why? Because it’s safe and I’ve got too much on to be dodging social conflict for the sake of someone I haven’t met. 

Secondly, I know that politics is a world of change but for some Autistics this could be a difficult time. Even if they don’t know much about the Tories’ political stand point, like my nearly 9 year old son, they have had a person in charge of the country for just under two years which is now going to suddenly change.

It’s really hard to describe the feeling but it’s mainly “What happens next?” (Cue knot in stomach for no reason) and “Who’s coming next?”. There are some people who have had ideas that have sent shivers up my spine with regards education, health care, special needs access, and now the state of home education. Are they going to be the next “elected” leader? 

No matter how you feel about Alexander Boris de Pfeffer Johnson, a change in leadership is always an interesting time. 

I was going to write “I’m hoping they make the right choice” but is there one? 

No comments:

Post a Comment