❤️

Please follow using the follow button!!

Thursday, September 8, 2022

Disney Plus Day

While scrolling through twitter, I noticed a hashtag. A hashtag that made my eyes roll and my head slightly ache. 

#DisneyPlusDay

This is all I have heard about for about a month and it’s finally here! Even as I am writing this, my son is shouting “MUM! ITS DISNEY PLUS DAY!!!”

As you know, I am autistic. But, my son and husband also are. (It’s in the genes, you know! 🧐) I’m not particularly bothered about when a streaming service adds new content, unless it’s Stranger Things of course, but I do understand why the other two can’t wait. 

When we love, we love hard. When we look forward to something, we throw our all into it. Some call it obsession, but it’s just who we are. There are a few autistic stereotypes (shock horror!!) that need to be swept away. 

The first: That we don’t feel. 

A common misconception about autistics is that we don’t feel because we don’t say anything. non-verbal Does not equal non-feeling. For my family, it’s very much the opposite. We feel very deeply.

The second: That you have to be non-verbal to be autistic.

I can’t speak for all autistic people because I am not all autistic people, but most of the autistics I know can speak, they just express their emotions in a way only some people can understand. We come in all different shapes, sizes, colours and stages of being able to speak. On the right subject, my family is VERY verbal. Like with #DisneyPlusDay but ask them why they are upset and the house has never been more silent. Also, speaking and using words are different things. But I’m sure you knew that. 🤔 

I will write more about this now that I’m out of hibernation again (another topic on my hit list) but for now I will say this:

Autism might not potentially be what you think it is, and that is ok. I’m pretty sure most of you won’t, but just incase you get the urge to, please don’t tell people they “can’t be autistic” because they don’t fit the stereotype. Thanks! 😉 

Anyway, back to #DisneyPlusDay 

I have a very different reason for looking forward to it. Like I said before, when my family loves, they love hard. Today is going to be electric with the feeling of two autistic guys who just can’t wait for something. It’s the kind of energy you can’t escape from. It’s contagious. So what I can’t wait for, is seeing my guys bounce off the walls about something in what has been a tricky year. 


And Thor… 🤫 😆 



No comments:

Post a Comment